Chef Fiona had a special treat for the DMB crew at the Virginia Beach tour stop. If dinner wasn’t already appetizing enough, she made some of her Maple Pecan Bread Pudding with Fresh Peach Sauce for dessert. For a wine pairing, try the Dreaming Tree Crush.
“Never eat a peach out of season.”
Photos by Aaron Farrington
1 stick butter
1 lb loaf white bread, brioche preferable (other Italian or French bread will work), cut in cubes
1/2 c sugar
1 t cinnamon
5 eggs, free range, organic
4 c half and half
1 1/4 c maple syrup, Grade B preferable
1 t vanilla
1 t salt
1 c chopped pecans
1/2 c water
3/4 c sugar
1 T cornstarch
3 c peaches, diced
1/4 t vanilla
- 1 stick butter
- 1 lb loaf white bread, brioche preferable (other Italian or French bread will work)
- 5 eggs, free range, organic
- 4 cups half and half
- maple syrup, Grade B preferable
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 3 cups peaches
- Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Butter a 9x16 glass-baking dish.
- Melt butter and toss with bread, then cinnamon and 1/4 c sugar.
- Toast in oven for 10 minutes, until lightly browned. Set aside and cool.
- Whisk together eggs, half and half, maple, vanilla and salt.
- Toss bread with custard, then mix in half of the pecans, pour into baking dish. Let sit for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle remaining pecans and 1/4 c sugar on top of pudding.
- Bake for 1 1/4 hrs, or until the center is set.
- Cool for at least 20 minutes before serving.
- Serve pudding with a spoonful of peach sauce and whipped cream if desired.
- Whisk together water, sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan, add peaches. Bring to a boil while stirring regularly.
- Remove from heat, add vanilla.