TORTILLA CRUSTED HALIBUT WITH TOMATILLO SALSA & CILANTRO-LIME CREAM
Chef Fiona turned up the heat at the Saratoga Springs Dave Matthews Band stop by cooking up her Tortilla Crusted Halibut with Tomatillo Salsa and Cilantro-Lime Cream. When enjoying the dish at home, try pairing it with the Dreaming Tree Chardonnay.
Serves 4 people
- 1 lb. halibut filet, skin removed, cut in four portions
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1/2 t black pepper
- 2 cup Tortilla chips, crushed, fine but not into a powder
- 1 t garlic powder
- 1 t chili powder
- 1/2 t onion powder
- 1 1/2 lbs. Tomatillos
- 1/2 White Onion, rough chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic, lightly crushed
- 1 Jalapeno, rough chopped, seeds removed depending on taste
- 1/2 bu. Cilantro, rough chop
- 1-2 Limes, juiced
- 1/3 cup Mexican style crema, or sour cream
- 1/2 bu. Cilantro, fine chop
- 1/2 lime, juice and zest
- Salt and pepper
Mix together and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat cast iron pan over medium-high heat.
- Place tomatillos, onion, garlic and jalapeno in pan and char lightly, shake pan occasionally.
- Transfer to the oven and cook for an additional 15-20 minutes until the tomatillos are soft.
- Pull from oven and allow to cool completely.
- Transfer to a blender with the cilantro and half the lime juice. Puree until smooth.
- Season with lime juice, salt and pepper to taste.
- Can be made a day in advance.
- Set aside until ready to serve.
For the Halibut
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Melt the butter and allow to cool.
- Place crushed tortillas in a shallow dish, add garlic powder, chili powder, onion powder and pepper and mix thoroughly.
- Season the fish on all sides lightly with salt and pepper.
- Dip the fish in the butter and coat on all sides.
- Transfer fish to tortilla crumbs and cover with crumbs, pressing the crumbs in as necessary.
- After fish is coated. Place on a baking sheet with lightly oiled parchment paper.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, until cooked through.
- Serve immediately, top fish with a spoonful of salsa and a dollop of crema.
Delicious with rice and beans and grilled vegetables.