RICE NOODLE SALAD WITH FRESH VEGETABLES AND HERBS
Chef Fiona knew exactly what to serve to Dave Matthews Band and crew on a hot summer day in Toronto, preparing her light, yet satisfying Rice Noodle Salad with Fresh Vegetables and Herbs. At home, try pairing the dish with the Dreaming Tree Chardonnay.
Serves 4-6 people
- 1 pack Rice Noodles, vermicelli or spaghetti style
- 1 large Red pepper, julienned
- 1 large Carrot, julienned
- 1 Cucumber, seeds removed, julienned
- 1 bunch Scallions, sliced
- Handful Mung Bean Sprouts
- 1 cup Snap Peas, julienned
- 1 head Romaine, thin slice
- 1/4 head Red or Green Cabbage, julienned
- 1/2 cup Peanuts, rough chop, set aside small amount for garnish
- 1 bunch Basil, rough chop, set aside small amount for garnish
- 1 bunch Cilantro, rough chop, set aside small amount for garnish
- 1 Tbs Ginger, grated
- 1/4 cup Fish sauce
- 1 large Lime, juice and zest
- 1-2 Tbs Sambal Oelek, or other Asian style hot sauce
- 1 Tbs Tamari or Soy Sauce
- 1 Tbs Honey
- 1 Tbs Rice vinegar
- 1 Tbs Toasted Sesame Oil
- Black pepper to taste
Mix all ingredients together and set aside until ready to serve.
- Soak the rice noodles in hot water for about 10 minutes, until the noodles are soft and ready to eat. Rinse with cold water and drain. Set aside.
- If you have a mandolin, it would be very helpful for prepping the carrot and cucumber, but it is not necessary.
- All the prep can be done well ahead of serving.
- In a large bowl mix together all ingredients except romaine and cabbage.
- When ready to serve mix dressing into rice noodles, season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve on a bed of romaine and cabbage.
- Garnish with extra peanuts and herbs.
Delicious with grilled shrimp or steak.