PECAN CRUSTED WHITE FISH WITH CHARRED TOMATOES, RED PEPPERS AND LEMONS
In Charleston, SC, Dave Matthews Band and crew enjoyed Chef Fiona's Pecan Crusted White Fish with Charred Tomatoes, Red Peppers and Lemons. Try this recipe at home paired with the Dreaming Tree Sauvignon Blanc.
Serves 4 people
- 2 red peppers
- 2 large tomatoes, medium dice
- 1 medium yellow onion, medium dice
- 1 lemon, cut in half longwise and thinly sliced
- 1 lemon, 1 juiced
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/4 c. capers, rough chop
- 1 tbs. parsley, chopped
- 1 tbs. basil, chopped
- 1 tbs. thyme, chopped
- 1 tbs. oregano, chopped
- 2 tbs. red wine vinegar
- 1 tbs. grainy mustard
- 2 tsp. honey
- 1 large pinch of crushed red pepper, optional
- 1/3 c. extra virgin olive oil
Pecan Crusted Fish
- 1 lb. thick white fish, cut in 4 portions (cod, turbot, grouper would all work)
- 1 c. pecans, finely chopped
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1-2 tbs. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 450°.
- Roast peppers on rack for about 15-20 minutes, until blistered and slightly blackened.
- Carefully remove peppers from oven and transfer to a bowl and cover with plastic or a cloth until cool.
- Remove seeds and skins of peppers, dice peppers and transfer to a bowl.
- While peppers are roasting or cooling, mix tomatoes, onions, garlic, sliced lemon, and 2 tbs. olive oil. Roast for 15-20 minutes until edges are browned, then transfer to same bowl as diced peppers.
- Mix charred veggies with remaining ingredients.
- Season to taste. Set aside, keep warm.
Pecan Crusted Fish:
- Lower oven to 350°.
- Drizzle oil on a baking pan.
- Mix finely chopped pecans, cayenne, salt and pepper. Transfer to plate.
- In a separate bowl mix egg with 1 tbs. cool water and a pinch of salt.
- Lightly season fish with salt and pepper.
- Dip top of fish filet in egg, then in pecan mix and place fish on oiled pan with pecans on top.
- Repeat with remaining fish.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes depending on thickness; a knife should pass through the fish easily.
To serve, divide charred veggie mix between 4 plates and place fish on top.