- Roast Red Peppers over open flame until black. If open flame not possible; pre-heat oven to 450 degrees and roast peppers until skins blacken. Cover to steam and cool.
- Remove skins and seeds. Set peppers aside.
- If you want to skip the previous steps you can use a 16 oz. jar of roasted red peppers, drained (they are not as delicious, but will save a lot of time).
- Put peppers and remaining ingredients into a blender and puree until smooth. Salt and pepper to taste. Set aside until ready to serve.
For the Meatballs
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Sauté the onions and garlic in 2 T olive oil until soft, set aside and cool.
- In a large bowl add all ingredients. Mix thoroughly, but be careful not to over mix.
- Take a small amount of mix and cook in a small sauté pan with some olive oil, to test for seasoning; adjust according to your taste.
- With wet hand, roll meatballs to about 2-3 inch balls. Lay out on sheet tray and cook for 20-25 minutes, until lightly browned and cooked through.
- Serve hot, warm or room temperature with the Vinaigrette.
Delicious as an appetizer or an entrée with a Greek salad and a mezze platter.
Notes: If you want a more dramatic presentation, roast cherry tomatoes still on the vine with extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. 425 degrees for 20 minutes. Serve with the lamb balls.