FRIED GREEN TOMATOES WITH CHUNKY REMOULADE
Inspired by the vibrant fresh bounty from a local farmers market, Chef Fiona served up some fresh Fried Green Tomatoes with Chunky Remoulade for the band and crew before they hit the stage at Raleigh. At home, try pairing the dish with Dreaming Tree Pinot Noir.
Yields 6-8 servings
- 5 green tomatoes, cut in 1/2 in slices
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups cornmeal, finely ground
- 1 t paprika
- 1 garlic powder
- 1/2 t onion powder
- 1/2 t dried thyme
- 1/4 t cayenne
- 1 t salt
- 1/2 t black pepper
- Canola oil, or other high heat oil
Mix together ingredients and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Fried Green Tomatoes
- In three separate, similarly sized containers:
- Mix cornstarch, 1/2 t salt and 1/4 t pepper
- In next container whisk together eggs, milk and pinch of salt and pepper
- In final container, mix together cornmeal, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, cayenne and remaining salt and pepper
- Set the three containers up in that order and set a baking sheet at the end. Sprinkle sheet with good layer of cornmeal
- Dip a tomato slice in the cornstarch and cover completely. Shake off any excess
- Transfer to the egg container, and cover tomato completely. Shake off any extra egg
- Transfer to cornmeal mixture and cover the tomato with cornmeal, pressing with hand if needed to thoroughly coat tomato. Transfer to the baking sheet. Continue breading until all tomatoes are done
- Heat a pan (preferably cast iron) with about an inch of oil over medium high heat until oil starts to shimmer, about 350°
- Set another baking sheet on the far side of the pan, out of reach of the heat, and put several layers of paper towel on it
- Gently place the tomatoes in the pan, being careful not to crowd the pan.When one side is nice and brown flip the slices and brown the other side. When done transfer to the towel lined sheet tray.
Serve slightly warm or room temperature with a dollop of the chunky remoulade.