COCONUT PANNA COTTA WITH A STRAWBERRY RHUBARB SAUCE
In Elkhorn, WI, Chef Fiona treated Dave Matthews Band and crew to her creamy, delicate Coconut Panna Cotta with a Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce. At home, we recommend pairing this recipe with the Dreaming Tree Sauvignon Blanc.
- 2 cans organic coconut milk, full fat
- 1 packet gelatin*
- 1/3 c. sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract (or 2 vanilla beans, scraped)
Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce
- 1 c. sliced strawberries
- 1 c. sliced rhubarb
- 2 tbs. sugar
- zest of 1/2 orange
- 1 orange, juiced
*To make the dessert vegan, use Agar Agar (also called Kanten) powder instead of gelatin. This can be found at health food stores or Asian supermarkets.
Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce:
- In small pot bring all ingredients to a simmer, cook until rhubarb is broken down.
- Cool. Set aside.
- Empty one can of coconut milk (and seeds and pods of the vanilla beans, if using) into a small pot and heat over lowest heat and whisk until milk comes together.
- Place pot in refrigerator until the milk is cool about 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle gelatin evenly over the chilled milk and let stand for 5 minutes. Gelatin should be shiny and the surface wrinkled.
- Heat over low heat until hot and gelatin dissolved, about 2-3 minutes (you can test it by feeling for grains with you fingers or on the back of a spoon).
- Add sugar and stir until dissolved. Do not let mixture boil!
- Remove from heat, add second can of coconut milk and vanilla extract (remove bean pods at this point if using) and whisk until incorporated.
- Pour mixture evenly into 6 small glasses or bowls. Chill in refrigerator for at least 2-3 hours.
Serve in glasses or bowls with a spoonful or two of strawberry-rhubarb sauce and any additional sauce served on the side.
Vegan Coconut Panna Cotta
- Pour 2 cans of coconut milk, sugar and 2 1/2 tsp. agar agar (and seeds and pods of the vanilla beans, if using) in the pot.
- Bring to a boil, whisk until incorporated, reduce heat and simmer for at least 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in vanilla extract (remove bean pods at this point if using).
- Pour mixture evenly into 6 small glasses or bowls. Chill in refrigerator for 1-2 hours.