BLACKBERRY AND APPLE BRAISED GREENS
Chef Fiona prepared her Blackberry and Apple Braised Greens for Dave Matthews Band and crew in Bristow, VA. Mildly sweet, with just a flash of spice, this dish is the perfect accompaniment to any meal. At home, we recommend pairing the dish with the Dreaming Tree Pinot Noir.
- 1 bunch swiss chard, remove stem and rough chop
- 1 bunch kale, remove stem and rough chop
- 1 bunch collard greens, remove stem and rough chop
- 1/2 head green cabbage, savoy or Napa, remove stem and rough chop
- 1 1/2 c. apple cider
- 1 c. fresh blackberries
- 1 tbs. ginger, grated
- 2 tbs. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 white onion, thin sliced
- 1 large pinch crushed red peppers, optional
- 1/2 c. stock, vegetable or chicken
- 3 tbs. butter, extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- In a large pot over medium heat add 2 tbs. olive oil, then sauté onions until translucent.
- Add cider, berries, ginger and a pinch of red pepper, if using; bring to a boil.
- Add the cabbage, then the other greens, and the remaining ingredients.
- Cover pot and cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Carefully remove lid being cautious of the steam and gently flip the greens.
- Replace cover and cook for another 10-15 minutes, until all greens are fully cooked. Season to taste.