BARLEY SALAD WITH MUSHROOMS, ASPARAGUS AND SWISS CHARD
Chef Fiona whipped up a delicious dish full of wild and savory ingredients for the Camden tour stop. Paired with Dreaming Tree Chardonnay, the Barley Salad with Mushrooms, Asparagus and Swiss Chard with Sherry Vinaigrette made for the perfect meal before a great show.
- 1/2 lb. pearled barley
- 2 T extra virgin olive oil
- 8 oz. shiitake caps, thin sliced
- 1 bunch asparagus, 1/2 inch slice
- 5 stalks celery, small dice
- 1 bunch scallions, thin sliced
- 1 bunch Swiss chard, stalks removed, 1 inch slice
- 1/2 cup toasted walnuts, rough chopped
- 1 bunch flat leaf parsley, rough chopped
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar (can use red or white wine vinegar, or a combination of the two if sherry not available)
- 2 T whole grain Dijon mustard
- 1 T honey
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
Whisk all ingredients together, set aside.
- Prepare the barley according to directions, drain and toss with 1T olive oil. Let come to room temperature or chill.
- In a medium-sized bowl, place prepared celery, scallions, chard, walnuts and parsley. Set aside.
- Lightly sauté shitakes until they just begin to brown, remove from pan, add to bowl. Sauté asparagus until they just begin to cook, add to bowl.
- Add cooled barley to bowl, toss.
- Add vinaigrette to salad just before serving, stir well, salt and pepper to taste.
Can be served warm or cold, on its own or with a piece of grilled fish or chicken